Calling all artists! Glebe Mural Submissions now open
Deadline for submissions is April 21, 2017, 4:00 p.m.
The Glebe BIA is seeking creative submissions for a large-scale mural that celebrates life in Ottawa as we commemorate Canada’s 150th birthday.
Artists and artist teams are invited to propose mural projects that will animate the area and enrich the Glebe’s creative energy. With a theme of “Bringing Spaces to Life for Canada’s 150th Birthday,” we hope to further create an on-street experience that is second to none; one that truly celebrates life in our country, our city, and our great downtown neighbourhood – the Glebe.
Murals that reflect life in Canada and capture the essence of the Glebe’s community spirit will be given highest consideration. Through the arts, we hope to convey the story of the Glebe to visitors from across the country during our year-long celebration.
Submissions should conceptualize a painting, mosaic artwork or art installation that will be applied to exterior walls. The creation of these murals will enrich the community and on-street experience by:
• Creating landmarks
• Demonstrating community identity and pride
• Declaring a building’s purpose
• Honouring Canada’s 150th birthday
• Enlivening the area
• Deterring graffiti
• Artist(s) involved
• Location, scale, and concept of the mural
• Visual competition of the mural within the visual landscape
• Maintenance of the mural
The Glebe BIA, in partnership with the City of Ottawa and Underground Sound, will fund winning concepts and help facilitate their production and installation.
REQUIREMENTS & GUIDELINES
Artists and artist teams interested in participating in the Glebe Mural Program should submit ONE copy of each of the following:
• A letter of Interest of no more than one page explaining the artist’s or artist team’s interest in the project, experience working on comparable projects, and statement of approach
• A resume not to exceed two pages, including artist training, professional experience and art/public art commission. If submitting as a team, a separate resume should be submitted for each team member
• Three work samples (including title, year, location, and image) of your past or current projects
• A design concept sketch
• Complete contact information
• Professional references (upon request)
Artists may submit more than one design proposal (template) along with a statement for each design. Do not send any materials not specifically requested (i.e. transparencies, DVDs/videos, articles etc), as they will not be reviewed by the jury. Any hard copies of submissions will not be returned.
• Open to residents of the National Capital Region
• Designs cannot contain advertisement or promotion for any business, product or viewpoint
• Designs may not include any breach of intellectual property, trademarks, brands or images of illegal activity
To be determined and dependent on project scope.
Submit by Friday, April 21, 2017 at 4:00pm
Submissions or questions should be addressed to Trevor Greenway, Communications Officer at trevorgreenway@localhost, 613.680.8506 or sent to 858 Bank Street, Suite 110, Ottawa, ON, K1S 3W3