Calling All Artists! 2021 Glebe Mural Program Now Open
2021 Glebe Mural Program
Closing date for submissions: February 18th, 2021, 5 p.m.
Commission: To be determined and dependent on project scope.
The Glebe BIA is seeking new mural submissions to animate the Glebe for residents and visitors.
Artists and artist teams are invited to propose mural projects that will enrich the on-street experience in neighbourhood. The aim of the program is to add vibrancy while celebrating local art in our great city. The Glebe BIA Mural Program has seen the installation of nearly 20 community murals by local artists over the past five years.
With a theme of “Bringing Spaces to Life” we are looking for murals that tell a story, connect with audiences, and create a sense of place for all who come to the Glebe.
Submissions should conceptualize a painting, mosaic artwork or art installation that will be applied to the exterior walls of local buildings. These murals should enhance our community by:
- Creating landmarks
- Demonstrating community identity and pride
- Enlivening and beautifying the area
- Brightening spaces
- Deterring graffiti
- Artist(s) involved
- Location, scale, and concept of the mural
- Visual competition of the mural within the visual landscape
- Maintenance plan for the mural
- Designs should be adaptable to fit multiple locations
- Minimizing negative space to deter graffiti
- The Glebe BIA, in partnership with the City of Ottawa will fund winning concepts and help facilitate their production and installation.
REQUIREMENTS & GUIDELINES
Artists and artist teams interested in participating in the Glebe Mural Program should submit ONE copy of each of the following:
- A Letter of Interest of no more than one page explaining the artist’s or artist team’s interest in the project, experience working on comparable projects, and statement of artistic approach
- A resume not to exceed two pages, including artist training, professional experience and art/public art commission. If submitting as a team, a separate resume should be submitted for each team member
- Three work samples (including title, year, location, and image) of your past or current projects
- A design concept sketch
- A project name
- A maintenance plan for the project
- Complete contact information
- Professional references (upon request)
Artists may submit more than one design proposal along with a statement for each design. Do not send any materials not specifically requested (i.e. transparencies, DVDs/videos, articles etc.), as they will not be reviewed by the jury. Any hard copies of submissions will not be returned.
Designs cannot contain advertisement or promotion for any business, product or viewpoint.
Designs may not include any breach of intellectual property, trademarks, brands or images of illegal activity.
To be determined and dependent on project scope.
Applications must be submitted by 5pm, Thursday February 18th, 2021.
HOW TO SUBMIT
Submissions or questions should be addressed to Glebe BIA Communications Specialist Trevor Greenway at firstname.lastname@example.org or 613.355.1021.