Call to artists: Glebe Mural Program
The Glebe is a community of creativity.
Our streets are full of innovative businesses, dynamic organizations, engaged residents and unique artists that make the Glebe a truly one-of-a-kind community.
Over the last couple of years, we have been trying to build on that creativity and create an even more vibrant community with a number of large-scale murals and public art installations along Bank Street and beyond.
With a theme of “Bringing Spaces to Life,” we hope to further create an on-street experience that is second to none, one that truly celebrates life in our city and Ottawa’s great downtown neighborhood – The Glebe.
We are currently seeking compelling proposals for murals that evoke a sense of style and shares the creativity and community our wonderful area is known for. Help us showcase the Glebe’s unique character and contribute to the growing number of art projects in the National Capital Region.
Entries should conceptualize a painting, mosaic artwork or art installation applied to exterior walls. The creation of these murals will add to the community and an on-street experience by:
- Creating landmarks
- Demonstrating community identity and pride
- Declaring a building’s purpose
- Enlivening the area
- Deterring graffiti and involving youth
- Artist(s) involved
- Location, scale, and concept of the mural
- Visual competition of the mural within the visual landscape
- Maintenance of the mural
The Glebe BIA in partnership with the City of Ottawa and Underground Sound will fund winning concepts and help facilitate their production and installation.
Artists and artist teams interested in participating in the Glebe Mural Program should submit ONE copy of each of the following:
- A letter of Interest of no more than one page explaining the artist’s or artist team’s interest in the project, experience working on comparable projects, and statement of approach.
- A resume not to exceed two pages, including artist training, professional experience and art/public art commission. If submitting as a team, a separate resume should be submitted for each team member.
- A brief description (including title, year, location) of three work samples of your past or current projects.
- A design concept sketch.
- A completed contact information form.
- Professional references.
Artists may submit more than one design proposal (template) along with a statement for each design. Do not bind application materials or put them in a notebook or folder. Do not send any materials not specifically requested (i.e. transparencies, DVDs/videos, articles etc.). If sent, they will not be reviewed by the jury. Submissions will not be returned. Artists are welcome to design an art piece for any Glebe location they find suitable, but we will have a list of preferred locations available in the next week. Please contact us if you’re intrested in seeing the potential locations before creating a concept.
- Open to residents of the National Capital Region.
- Designs cannot contain advertisement or promotion for any business, product or viewpoint.
- Designs may not include any breach of intellectual property, trademarks, brands or images of illegal activity.
To be determined and based on the project.
Submit by Monday, April 25, 2016 at 4:00pm
Submissions or questions should be addressed to Andrew Peck, Executive Director at
andrewpeck@localhost, 613.680.8506 or sent to 858 Bank Street, Suite 110, Ottawa, ON, K1S 3W3