CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS – 2020 Glebe Mural Program
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
2020 Glebe Mural Program
Closing date for submissions: Thursday, February 6th, 2020
Commission: To be determined and dependent on project scope.
The Glebe BIA is seeking creative submissions for a large-scale mural that celebrates life in our city and neighbourhood.
Artists and artist teams are invited to propose mural projects that will animate the area and enrich the Glebe’s creative energy. With a theme of “Bringing Spaces to Life,” we hope to add more vibrancy to the neighbourhood while celebrating local art in our great city.
Murals that capture the spirit of the Glebe’s community pride, the neighbourhood’s charm and history will be given highest consideration. Through this installation, we hope to convey the story of the Glebe to both residents and visitors near and far.
Submissions should conceptualize a painting, mosaic artwork or art installation that will be applied to exterior walls. The creation of these murals will enrich the community and on-street experience by:
- Creating landmarks
- Demonstrating community identity and pride
- Enlivening and beautifying the area
- Brightening spaces
- Deterring graffiti
- Creating a “wow” moment for tourists, residents and customers
- Artist(s) involved
- Location, scale, and concept of the mural
- Visual competition of the mural within the visual landscape
- Maintenance plan for the mural
- Designs should be adaptable to fit multiple locations
- Minimizing negative space to deter graffiti
The Glebe BIA, in partnership with the City of Ottawa will fund winning concepts and help facilitate their production and installation.
REQUIREMENTS & GUIDELINES
Artists and artist teams interested in participating in the Glebe Mural Program should submit ONE copy of each of the following:
- A letter of Interest of no more than one page explaining the artist’s or artist team’s interest in the project, experience working on comparable projects, and statement of artistic approach
- A resume not to exceed two pages, including artist training, professional experience and art/public art commission. If submitting as a team, a separate resume should be submitted for each team member
- Three work samples (including title, year, location, and image) of your past or current projects
- A design concept sketch
- A project name
- A maintenance plan for the project
- Complete contact information
- Professional references (upon request)
Artists may submit more than one design proposal (template) along with a statement for each design. Do not send any materials not specifically requested (i.e. transparencies, DVDs/videos, articles etc.), as they will not be reviewed by the jury. Any hard copies of submissions will not be returned.
- Designs cannot contain advertisement or promotion for any business, product or viewpoint
- Designs may not include any breach of intellectual property, trademarks, brands or images of illegal activity
To be determined and dependent on project scope.
Applications must be submitted by Thursday, February 6th, 2020 at midnight.
Submissions or questions should be addressed to Glebe BIA Communications & Membership Engagement Officer Trevor Greenway at email@example.com or 613.680.8506 or sent to 858 Bank Street, Suite 110, Ottawa, ON, K1S 3W3.