The Horticulture Building was designed by Francis C. Sullivan, an Ottawa architect and protégé of Frank Lloyd Wright, in 1914. The building represents a Canadian interpretation of the Prairie Style of architecture. As one of Canada’s earliest expressions of modernism, it contributes significantly to the history of Canadian architecture. It was designed to provide space for winter curling and a summer exhibition hall. Ottawa City Council repealed the building’s former heritage designation in 2010 to approve its relocation. A new heritage designation was enacted when the building was finally relocated and rehabilitated at Lansdowne Park in 2014.